Young Guns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Guns Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mirrors reviews

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:53 am

Quote :
EP review: Young Guns – Mirrors

July 6th, 2009 by The Editor

Straight from the rock’n'roll hotbed of High Wycombe, here come Young Guns with an EP called Mirrors which, so the accompanying piece of paper says, is “a brief blast of promise” that “serves as a ringing statement of intent”. In the absence of further explanation, I’m going to have to assume after giving it a few listens that their intent is business as usual.

Don’t get me wrong: Mirrors is pretty passable, with good chunky production (from those chaps what was in Sikth, apparently) supporting songs that fall somewhere between the riffy but accessible pop-metal of Funeral For My Chemical Valentine and the soaring-chorus fists-in-the-air epicisms of Lostprophets and their oh-so-numerous imitators.

And therein lies the problem; the press release accompanying Mirrors is keen to point out the healthy state of the British ‘scene’, but the list of producers and remixers associated with the band reveals that the British scene is a pretty incestuous thing in some respects. Sure, it’s good to have bands helping each other out, but close communities are prone to a form of stylistic groupthink, and Young Guns represent what export-grade British rock sounds like right now. Mirrors isn’t the next big thing, it’s the last big thing.

And the problem is that the market’s saturated with this stuff, to the point that it’s almost impossible to do something with it that doesn’t sound derivative. Sure, people are still buying this stuff and going to the shows, but there’s already too many sizeable fish in that particular pond. If Young Guns wanted to convince me they have a future as market leaders, they’d need to come across sounding different, convention-defying, unusual. And Mirrors, while dripping with competence and hard work, is another plateful of the British pop-metal sound I’ve been hearing for the last seven or eight years.

Perhaps I’ll be proved wrong, but I suspect Young Guns have missed the boat for the big time with this sound; perhaps their next release will break the mould of Mirrors. Here’s hoping they avoid the temptations of crunk or crabcore, eh?

SOURCE

Last edited by Donatello on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Young-Guns-Web-Team/1339855133409
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 am

Quote :
Single review: Young Guns – In the Night

February 5th, 2009 by Dave Saunders

Now, first up I suppose I ought to declare my dirty secret: I don’t hate The Foo Fighters. Don’t get me wrong, I’m aware they (they?) only have the one song, but it’s quite a good song, isn’t it? Young Guns certainly think so as they’ve had a shot at it themselves in the form of “In the Night”, only – as no one but incredibly young bands can do – they’ve turned everything up to eleven, smushed their hand on the effects board and the Earnest-o- Meter’s needle is firmly in the “red for danger” section.

You’ve probably heard mention of Young Guns if you’re a reader of the popular rock press, having notched up mentions in Kerrap!, Punktastic et al due to apparently touring non-stop (including slots supporting Funeral for a Friend, Lagwagon and a tour support with We Are the Ocean) but, as note-worthy and admirable as that is, do they deserve the interest? Are they all sweat and no talent?

On this evidence of “In the Night” I’d say they’re well worth watching out for (a début EP is soon come) and shelling out for on iTunes (the CD is stupidly limited I hear and, no, you can’t have mine). The guitar buzzes like a tinny bee supplying the riff on a loop, the song attempts to outrun itself and there’s a faintly silly guitar solo two thirds of the way in, but it’s a fantastic way to spend any spare four minutes you have hanging round the house.

Gang vocals, top crashy bits, a running-along-a corridor metaaaal beat; “In the Night” is great pop done by kids. And, as any fule kno, great pop by kids is the best pop there is.

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 am

Quote :
AMAZING Band
Mirrors Ep - Young Guns

Advantages: Everything about it!
Disadvantages: None at all!

Young Guns are an upcoming alternative rock band from the UK, that you need to hear about! They're becoming famous quickly, all because of this EP. They've been in the Kerrang! Relentless Energy Tour alongside The Blackout, My Passion and All Time Low, and their new album is coming out sometime in the Summer this year. In the Kerrang! Readers Poll in 2009, they won the best upcoming band, and with good reason. They have high hopes for the future, and I can tell why they're becoming so famous from this incredible four track EP. They have also released a new single called 'Winter Kiss' which isn't on this EP, but is definitely worth listening too, and regularly appears on Scuzz and Kerrang! music channels, as well as Kerrang! Radio. Young Guns are:

Gustav Wood - Vocals
John Taylor - Guitar
Fraser Taylor - Guitar
Simon Mitchell - Bass
Ben Jolliffe - Drums

1. Daughter Of The Sea

It's hard to judge which one is my favourite because all the songs on the album are amazing, but this may be the one with the best intro. A quiet guitar riff and soft drumming until the drop, when it is joined by great guitar and incredible drumming, with great vocals too, but not quite as good as they are. The chorus in this song is stunning, and the riff is great too, a fantastic intro track. The complicated guitar in the chorus is awesome if you listen closely, because it's hard to hear, but it's still incredible. I love everything about this song, and it has great lyrics too.

2. Weight Of The World

This is the first song I heard, and was my favourite for a while, and it may still be, and I'm sure when you listen to it you'll realise why. The chorus is once again amazing, when the guitar builds up to the drop. I love the guitar in this song, the riff is incredible, and so catchy. The same applies to the chorus, which once again has great vocals. Another amazing song.

3. There Will Be Rain

Another cool guitar riff at the start, but different to the last two (in a good way). Young Guns are incredibly good at writing guitar riffs, which is one of the reason their songs are so amazing, like this one. Another stunning song with awesome guitar, drumming and vocals once again, you NEED to hear this band!

4. In The Night

A drum roll right at the start is pretty cool, joined once again by another great riff. If there is one bad thing about the EP, it's that the intro this song sound similar to that of the last song, but that hardly matters, because they're both such amazing songs! This once has perfect everything once again, and I love this song!

Highly recommend listening to this album.

Summary:
6/5, perhaps my favourite band right now! Highly recommend

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:39 am

Quote :
Fightstar Review: Young Guns - Mirrors

Released June 22

As the boys from Fightstar took over the office for the day, it was only fair we put them to work on knocking out a couple of reviews, first in the pile was Young Guns new EP, mirrors…

“We all love this band” they declare before the CD even hit’s the player, but as huge fans of Young Guns, and being celeb best mates with vocalist Gus, there was no way they were going to let a sneak preview of this album pass them by.

Daughter Of The Sea was home to a multitude of super sexy riffage and Charlie and Co were up in arms about the great melodies and the slap rock guitar tone that pummelled the track from beginning to end; whilst cute melodies elevate each part of the song.

According to Dan Haigh; “It’s like Thrice drinking a bottle of bourbon in a shoe shop.” Nice.

However, Weight Of The World was the song that caused most of the excitement, as Charlie and Omar had loved it when they had first heard it a few months ago, so clearly the love hadn’t died too easily, with them calling it a; “Great sing-a-long song which makes great driving music, as well as having great production from two super cool guys.

“Overall it’s excellent for their first EP and shows that they have a lot of potential in writing, lets just hope the industry gives them a chance to show off their talent. It just makes me wonder what their album might be like, but this EP’s has them pointing in a good direction.

Fightstar Rating: 4/5

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:43 am

Quote :
In The Night - Young Guns Single Review

Single Review

From Bucks to big bucks (possibly) come this 5-piece collective who have recorded a rather cracking power-pop-metal song that I have had on repeat solidly since it was posted on the band's My Space page. Think Foo Fighters and Funeral For A Friend and add a peppering of energy not unlike Pendulum and you have 4 minutes of very credible, heads-down-no-nonsense intensity that is all too lacking with some rock band's debuts these days. This song forms part of an overall EP set called "Mirrors" and also opens the floodgates for some pretty hefty touring during the middle and end part of January. Considering the chilly old weather outside and the doom and gloom around, why not turn up and bend your neck muscles to a band who may well peek through the critical clouds this year - dates include Oxford, Bristol, Plymouth and High Wycombe. See their MySpace page for details!

Paul Pledger

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 am

Quote :
Young Guns - Mirrors (2009 EP)

Mirrors is the first release from British band Young Guns and within the 4 song EP, the band manages to squeeze in everything that makes them so great.

"Daughter Of The Sea" opens us up to the sound of Young Guns, with a slow start and melodic build up. From first listen it’s easy to tell the band is one of natural talent – instrumentally they are tight and the harmonies blend in well with the loud music. Not the catchiest song on the EP but still a nice introduction to what we can expect.

It’s easy to see how "Weight of the World" made the cut for the bands first CD All Our Kings Are Dead, as it’s clearly the best song on the EP – everything from the opening riff, Gustav Woods' vocals and the way the pounding drums and guitar work complement each other, makes for an epic song. From the first listen the song has the ability to be stuck in your head, and by the end of the song you can almost be guaranteed you will be singing along to the chorus.

The fast-paced "There Will Be Rain" keeps up the momentum of the EP and showcases Woods' vocals to perfection and proves just how talented he is – his voice sounds rawer but it works well in the songs favour.

Without pausing for listeners to catch their breath, "In the Night" continues on from "There Will Be Rain" and is a close contender for best song on the EP. What this song demonstrates and what may be slightly lacking from the album is the raw rock appeal that Young Guns have. Instrumentally, the guitar work is exceptional and Woods' vocals are both taunting and haunting. With the CD showcasing a more polished version of the band, the EP is reminiscent of perhaps their live sound and captures their energy perfectly.

Young Guns have been successful in creating one great EP that has definitely captured people’s attention. Mirrors is an instantly captivating work, introducing us to everything that is so great about the band. I would only expect bigger and greater things from the band, and for anyone who likes punk-rock music as its finest, Young Guns are definitely worth checking out.

Review Score: 8/10

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 2:08 am

Quote :
Review
Young Guns
Mirrors

Young Guns remind me of someone but I can't quite put my finger on who. Maybe a little bit like Lorene Drive - some big-sounding rock songs with huge melodic choruses. The four songs here do exactly want you want an EP to do - leave you gagging for more. And if Young Guns can keep doing what they do, and even turn it up a notch, they have the ability to be huge. And I know I often hype bands to an inch of their lives (and let's face it, I'm usually right), but YG deserve the praise. The Weller/Hill production is slick and thick and the choruses huuuge. I guarantee you'll be singing along before the end of the first song.

'In The Night' is absolutely massive in every department, while 'Daughter of the Sea' has the biggest chorus of the bunch. 'There Will Be Rain' reminds me of another band a lot, especially in the vocals, but I can't pin down the name. There's no doubt this record will up the ante and a lot of people will sit up and take note. 'Mirrors' is a very accomplished record for a band only just releasing their debut EP. Magazine covers await their presence - I think we'll be hearing a lot more from Young Guns.

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 2:25 am

Quote :
Young Guns - ‘Mirrors’
Young Guns display some awesome ideas on this EP...

Rating: 7

Not hugely original but not totally generic either, Young Guns display some awesome ideas on this EP. While no track particularly stands out by anthemic standards, it could all be part of their cunning plan to take the country by storm. The tunes on offer tease this reviewer’s ears with some mighty rock riffs which don’t explode enough to officially make them stadium-worthy, but this is hopefully intended to showcase how truly brilliant their album is going to be without ruining the surprise. Not ear-shattering just yet but with potential to bring the tinnitus soon, Rock Sound is excited to hear what’s yet to come.

Rock Sound

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 2:35 am

Quote :
Young Guns - Mirrors [EP]
Live Forever Records
January 3, 2010

The debut EP from Young Guns entitled "Mirrors" hooks me from the opening track. They have a refreshing, yet familiar style to their music. Young Guns have pulled out their effects pedals and cranked the echo effect on their microphones up to 11. The result is a staggering slab of infectious rock and roll. Track one ‘Daughter of the sea’ is 3:47 of pure joy - the echoing vocals fits perfectly with the rise and fall of the guitar that all add up to a catchy sing along song.

Young Guns lyrics deal mainly with confusing relationships and the problems encountered when you love someone. It would be easy to dismiss Young Guns as just another one of those pretty boy bands, see Aiden, Madina Lake, You Me At Six etc however, if you take a further listen then you will be surprised at their depth and quality.

By the time I get to the final track [4] ‘In the night’ I am anxious that the EP is about to end. This feeling made me flip my CD player onto repeat!

‘Mirrors’ stayed on repeat for a full three more listens. After hearing the four tracks on this "Mirrors" I look forward to the day when Young Guns finally release a full length album.

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Donatello

Donatello

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 am

Quote :
Young Guns - In The Night [single]
Self Released
January 19, 2009

The 5 good looking lads from Young Guns come squealing onto the scene with their debut single 'In The Night', which is to be released via iTunes on February 2.

‘In The Night’ is everything any teenage light rock, punk, wannabe indie fan could ever want in a single. Young Guns have all the basics there, they can sing, they can find their way around a decent riff and they sound tight together, but I feel like I’ve heard this song so many times before these days from the multitude of bands doing the same thing, and this version is just not as original as I would like it to be. There is no monumentally memorable hook, or drum solo or catchy lyric to make this track stand out from the rest.

‘In The Night’ is taken from the forthcoming EP Mirrors, which I’m keen to give a listen, as everything is there in the waiting for Young Guns to show just how good they can be.
Props has to go to Young Guns though for making a fairly interesting video for the single (check it out via their MySpace), which for an unsigned band is refreshing, when it’s usually too much of a challenge.

Basically, this is a decent release from a decent bad, but it’s just not my thing. As this is their debut, I will give them the benefit of the doubt, and cop a squat nicely on the fence alongside these Young Guns, between power-pop and edgy, and wait to see in which direction they decide to go.

SOURCE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mirrors reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirrors reviews   Mirrors reviews Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mirrors reviews
Page 1 of 1